17 March 2018

Baby Dragon and then Tin Canoe Regatta at Iluka

At last glorious weather, warm sunshine and a light breeze. I headed down to Harwood to check out Baby Dragon. I hadn't sailed her this  year. She was still in good order and John Hayes helped me to rig. Even the neglected outboard started easily.

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the sail. There was so much weather helm that my still weak left wrist couldn't easily hold the tiller. So after a short sail I came back to shore. John said that my problem was that I hadn't got my rudder properly down, but my wrist hurt too much to continue.

So I packed up and headed down to the 2018 Tin Canoe Regatta at Iluka. I had expected Ian Gaillard, the new owner of Tin Dragon to have her on the water but he had a touch of 'flue. Azzo was the only one to have a new tin canoe, the others were veteran canoes sailed by veteran sailors.

The event is changing and Rob Crosby had made new trophies to be awarded to the sailing dinghies that were keen to join in the non-event. There had to be some thought to the non-rules for new mixed classes. One non-rule that emerged was "tin canoes" have right of way at all times!
Val Hodgson's absolutely stunning new sailing dinghy

No comments: