12 March 2016

Steve in training for the Bay to Bay

Steve Millard is a good friend from The Stingrays, our daily ocean swimming group in Byron Bay, who also bush walks and has a history in the rather distant past of sailing. He recently sold me Baby Dragon, but that is the subject of another post. He has accepted my invitation to join me on Little Dragon for the 2016 Bay to Bay race. For those that don't know that is an overnight race from Tin Can Bay to Hervey Bay [Urangan] held at the end of April each year.

So we decided that he should come down to Harwood for a training sail. I know he can tack, gybe but my hunch that he was a bit rusty on which tack has right of way was correct. Now I have race insurance again we decided to join in the regular Saturday afternoon race - a bunch of dinghies, Chris Cook and us. I didn't get round to taking a photo of him for the blog so I have pinched one of him on a recent bushwalk with another Stingray Marie.


By the end of the afternoon I told Steve that I was confident he would be a very fine Mate (as long as he reads the racing rules and promises to back the trailer) and he confirmed that he was still enthusiastic. So far so good. Another bulletin after the race....

Chris Cook's new Wexford design 13 ft boat fitted out for a little person




No comments: